At Fairfield School of Business we are committed to enabling all of our students to achieve successful study outcomes. We offer a range of effective and co-ordinated extra-curricular activities to develop the essential study and professional skills that underpin success, whilst supporting students in managing their study/life balance and overcoming any barriers to learning which they may be experiencing.
Personal Academic Tutoring
Personal Academic Tutoring is a fundamental part of our tailored-approach to learning delivery.
We seek to engage students as partners in the development of their learning experience. Personal Academic Tutors are at the forefront of this partnership and will act as your first point of contact, ensuring that you can take advantage of all that the School has to offer.
At the beginning of your studies you will be allocated a Personal Tutor, who will guide you in your academic development and assist you in accessing the School’s various support services, study skills training, and professional development activities.
Your Personal Academic Tutor can also assist you in:
- Directing your personal study and research activities
- Arranging support for special needs (such as a specific learning difficulty or a disability)
- Keeping a Personal Development Plan (PDP) to guide you in achieving the award standard of your programme
- Familiarising you with the School’s various support staff and where to find them
- Managing attendance concerns or arranging authorised absence form classes
- Submitting mitigating circumstances
- Discussing concerns, complaints and appeals
- General enquires about your programme
Independent Learning and Personal Development Planning
Your Personal Academic Tutor will work with you to jointly develop and continually update your Personal Development Plan (PDP), and set personalised learning objectives to help you to stay on top of your studies.
Your PDP will give you greater control over your learning and development, ensuring you have the guidance and the support from the School to achieve and succeed.
Workshops & Seminars
FSB runs interactive workshops and seminars designed to enhance students’ study skills, academic readiness and employability. These sessions are open to all students and cover some of the following themes:
- Essential study skills and personal organisation
- Academic writing
- Communication skills
- Basic of IT competencies
- Harvard referencing and how to avoid plagiarism in written assignments
- E – learning
- Research skills and problem-solving techniques
- Team building exercises
- CV’s and professional interview advice